Monday, September 18, 2006

Nordic Quirkiness #3

People always ask me about the biggest differences between Canada and Norway. Aside from people's relationship with alcohol (definitely the subject of a future Nordic Quirkiness) I would have to say that I have a bit of a problem with the general coldness towards strangers that I often experience.
Whilst whining about this to one of my Norwegian friends, a suggestion was made to me that perhps it's only Oslo that is really so unfriendly. Last weekend I was in Trondheim and I must say, it was refreshing. People were actually nice - they even halfway smiled sometimes. i went out to a bar called Kredo or something (it's all a bit foggy) and I actually talked to some nice people. In addition, I got to hang out with some great friends who I already knew and the weather kicked ass. We were even at the beach... in September, in Norway (can you believe that?)


So my general conclusion is this: Oslo- GET OVER YOURSELF! This is not some fast paced metropolis, it's a relatively small city. Why can't everyone put away the mobile phone and stop trying soooo hard to be soooo coool? And furthermore, this is a rich city with a good standard of living. Why all the angst? People go around with a permanent expression like someone ran over their pet. A smile would not kill you Oslo.

At risk of being accused of Norway bashing, I promise to make my next Nordic Quirkiness more positive. 'Cause actually this place is growing on me, kind of like a fungus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home